Monday, April 7, 2008

Green Mountain Extra Bold "Double Black Diamond"

Purchased: In K-Cup form for the Keurig coffee system

Bean Origin: Unknown

Additives: Half and Half

Taste: Most blends touting themselves as "bold" often mean "bitter", as if the coffee was brewed several days ago and sat in the brewer as the water evaporated and turned the coffee to sludge. Double Black Diamond (DBD from now on, as I'm too lazy to type all three words) was not bitter to drink. It was incredibly smooth going down, but there was a little tinge of bitter left in my mouth after each gulp. That sensation is not a deterrent from drinking this coffee again (and I will, since I have two cases of the stuff now), and is pretty common in dark roast blends, but I will have to remember to bring mints or gum with me to meetings. The flavor of the coffee is smoky, and slightly nutty, with the obvious taste of caffeine (for those that weren't aware that caffeine has a taste, take a sip of caffeine-free coke, then take a sip of coke; the innocuous taste missing from the caffeine-free coke is the caffeine).

This Coffee is Equivalent to: skiing down a double black diamond slope. Duh.

Buzz: A decent pick-me-up, as my yawning has subsided for the time being. My guess is those less tolerant of caffeine would be bouncing off of the walls after just one cup.

No comments: